The Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) burst onto the scene in the late 90’s but this particular vehicle had been around for much longer than that.
You would have to go all the way back to the 1930’s where similar passenger vehicles were used to transport troops around but the term SUV wasn’t created until 1984 when the first Jeep Cherokee (XJ) came to production and named the SUV.
As vehicles became increasingly larger the popularity of the SUV exploded. Recently, smaller crossover vehicles are all considered to be a part of the SUV market which now accounts for 36.4% of passenger vehicles sold.
With the increasing market came a demand for specific tyres. With so many options available it's easy to be lost in the decision making process. With Tryepower’s 270 store network across the country, you can count on us for the best SUV tyres available in the market today.
First, you need to be honest with yourself and consider both the type of SUV you drive and the conditions that you consistently drive on. Tyre options can vary and include the aggressive Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus, to the popular highway terrain Michelin Primacy series.
Here are a few things to consider when purchasing a new set of tyres for your SUV.
- Road noise
- Fuel efficiency
Don’t get caught out with marketing spiels and corporate jargon. At the end of the day, sticking with reputable brands is a sure and safe bet. There are many reliable brands on the market for SUV tyres including Pirelli, Michelin, Kumho and Cooper.
Let’s take a look at 5 great tyres for your SUV.
Michelin Primacy SUV
Safety and comfort is built into Michelin’s DNA and the Primacy SUV tyre is no exception.
Keep your passengers safe with exceptional grip and handling provided by the Michelin Primacy’s 4 longitudinal grooves. This latest tread pattern expels water with ease while keeping a solid contact patch firmly on the bitumen.
- Cushion Guard and Even Peak technologies built into the tyre to absorb road imperfections for a smoother ride
- A lot of the Primacy’s safety features come from an all new FlexMax2.0 Rubber compound. Michelin have developed the StabiliGrip tread and sipe pattern feature for extra grip and safety. This has been proven with the Primacy stopping 2.2 meters shorter and 6% better handling around the bends than previous versions of the tyre.
Cooper Tires has a number of tyres suitable for the SUV but one of the most popular on the market today is the Cooper Discoverer SRX. Packed with plenty of safety features, the SRX from Cooper Tires ticks all the boxes.
- The Cooper SRX features Stabiledge Technology which keeps the grooves of the tyre open. This translates exceptional feel, grip and handling to the driver.
- Knowing the depth of your tyre tread is important and now, Cooper is using an all new WearSquare visual indicator. The wear bar changes as the tyre wears and visually tells the driver/owner of the current tread depth.
- R-Tech engineering is the result of computer designed and rendered tyre sidewalls. High-performance compound and bead filler is off-set by nylon reinforcing overlay, giving you a much smoother, softer and safer ride.
- With a highly improved silica compound, the Cooper SRX provides much better wet cornering, braking and overall handling while reducing rolling resistance, which improves longevity and provides better fuel economy.
- 3D Micro Gauge siping allows the tread blocks to interlock while under force, giving you maximum stability in cornering, braking and handling, even when your tyres are half worn.
Kumho Road Venture KL51
A classic road tyre for your SUV, the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 is the ideal aftermarket upgrade for any SUV on the market today.
The KL51 is M+S rated. This means it is one of only a handful of tyres that are mud and snow rated. Ideal for not so ideal driving conditions and with 80,000km warranty and a size ranging from 15” to 18”, it’s one of the best SUV tyres available.
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
When it comes to crossover vehicles such as the SUV, Pirelli have designed and developed a tyre perfect for the larger passenger car market. The Scorpion Verde encompasses everything a passenger tyre requires with a little extra light off-road performance.
- With improved rolling resistance comes a reduction in CO2 emissions, fuel savings and a much quieter ride.
- Pirelli has developed an all new rubber compound for the Scorpion Verde, the Highly Aromatic Oil Free compound or HAOF has 8% less raw materials, which means that the Verde has less impact on our environment.
- The Verde encompasses a very distinctive tread pattern. Extra siping increases road safety while creating a very enjoyable soft and comfortable ride.
Pirelli Scorpion AT +
For the more adventurous type, or to really make your SUV stand out from the rest of the pack, the Pirelli Scorpion All-Terrain Plus is the answer. A suitably safe and sturdy road tyre, the AT + is an off-road beast designed to tackle some of the toughest terrain Australia has to offer.
As a touring tyre, the Scorpion All-Terrain plus can handle long, dusty out-back roads followed up by big stints on the bitumen. With Mud and Snow rating (M+S) the AT+ can handle all road and weather conditions.
- An all-new aggressive tread block pattern gives you the advantage in all kinds of driving conditions. It boasts big advancements in traction, grip, handling and safety.
- The new AT+ block design encompasses larger longitudinal grooves twisting through the tread, providing exceptional water displacement, wet/dry handling and a much safer ride.
- Reinforced sidewall layout is more robust and reliable against damage, punctures and wear, meaning the AT+ has a higher amount of safety and performance in even the stickiest of situations.
With the latest in tyre technology from leading brands, Tyrepower is your ultimate choice when it comes to SUV tyres. With over 270 stores located around Australia, there is a Tyrepower store near you. Simply call 13 21 91 for more information today.